English for Work : Police : Helping Tourists

Questions tourists ask police

 

  • I'm lost. Can you help me find the Pacific Hotel?
  • I'm looking for the American Consulate/Embassy.
  • My luggage/suitcase was stolen. What should I do?
  • Who can we trust to exchange our money?
  • Where is the bad part of town?
  • Please help us. Our child is missing.

Questions police ask tourists

  • Which hotel are you staying at?
  • When did you lose your wallet?
  • How much money was in your purse?
  • What did the thief look like?
  • What was the man wearing?
  • Did he have a weapon?
  • Where/When did you last see your child?
  • How old is your child?
  • What was your child wearing?

Comforting a tourist in distress

  • Please stay calm. I am going to help you.
  • We will do everything we can.
  • I'll give you a map of the city.
  • Try not to panic.
  • I can give you a ride to the hospital.
  • The ambulance is on its way.
  • Don't worry, everything is going to be okay.

Sample Conversation

A Spanish police officer helps a British woman find her missing child...
Woman:Help! Police!
Police:What's wrong?
Woman:My daughter is missing. I can't find her anywhere!
Police:Okay. Calm down. I'm going to help you find her. What's her name?
Woman:Erica. She's only five. She doesn't know how to speak Spanish!
Police:Okay. What does Erica look like?
Woman:She has brown curly hair. She's skinny and small for her age.
Police:Okay. What is she wearing today?
Woman:Blue shorts and a pink T-shirt. She has a hat on too, I think.
Police:How long ago did she go missing?
Woman:I've been looking for her for almost an hour now.
Police:And where did you last see her?
Woman:We were just shopping in the vegetable section. I turned around and she was gone.
Police:Don't worry, everything is going to be okay.
Woman:What should I do?
Police:Stay right at the front of the store in case she comes looking for you. We'll start looking for her now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment