Questioning a Witness


to witness (verb):to see something happen
a witness (noun):a person who sees something happen
Witnesses are valuable to the police. A witness is somebody who is actually present when something happens and sees what happens. The police usually like to question all witnesses as soon as possible after a crime, accident or other event.

Questions police ask witnesses

  • Did you see what she was wearing?
  • Did he have a weapon?
  • Was the gun loaded?
  • What kind of car was the thief driving?
  • I will need to get a statement from you.
  • How long ago did this happen?
  • If you think of anything else, please notify us.

Description of a suspect

  • He was wearing sunglasses.
  • He had a mustache.
  • He had a beard.
  • She was dressed in black.
  • She had a baseball cap on.
  • She was wearing gloves.
  • Hair: short, long, shoulder length, curly, straight, spiky, brown, blond, black, red, in a ponytail
  • Body: skinny, fat, chubby, medium build, muscular, tall, short, average height

Sample Conversation

An ESL teacher working in Korea witnesses a bank robbery. The police question her as a witness...
Police:I understand you were the key witness for the robbery.
Woman:Yes, I was the only other person in the bank besides the tellers.
Police:Are you okay to answer some questions for me?
Woman:Sure. I don't know how much help I'll be. He made me get on the ground so I didn't get a very good look at him.
Police:Was he carrying a weapon?
Woman:Yes, he had a pistol in his back pocket. He threatened to use it, but I doubt it was loaded.
Police:What makes you say that?
Woman:He was just a kid. Probably fifteen or younger.
Police:Can you describe him for me?
Woman:He was Asian. Probably five foot six. He was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. I can't remember what else he was wearing.
Police:Did he talk directly to you? I mean, did he ask you for your money or anything?
Woman:No, he just told me to get on the ground. That's all I know. I'm running late for a class. Is it okay if I go now?
Police:I just want to get your name and phone number. If you think of anything else, please notify us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment